Menu Close

Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency Number

A reference number is required to tax your car, motorcycle, and other motor vehicles. You can obtain your vehicle’s reference number from a V11 reminder, which is a last chance warning letter issued by the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). The Reminder V11 is posted from the DVLA three weeks before your vehicle tax expires. This form serves as your Vehicle License Application or SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) Learn more about how to tax your vehicle without a V11 reminder online.

The vehicle reference number can be obtained from your vehicle registration log book or V5C. This document registers your vehicle with the DVLA. All the essential information about your vehicle is recorded in your log book. Such information as your vehicle’s first registration, engine size, vehicle manufacturer, and the vehicle colour. Mistakes or changes such as a change of the name of the registered keeper, certain modifications to the vehicle, or the sale of the vehicle must be reported to the DVLA.

The green new keeper’s details document or the V5C/2 also contains the vehicle reference number. Like the V5C, the V5C/2 also registers your vehicle with the DVLA and contains all the essential information about your vehicle as well. The V5C/2 is generally from the previous vehicle owner and serves as your temporary vehicle log book until your full log book arrives with the new keeper details included.

After you’ve obtained your vehicle reference number, the DVLA will accept payment in the form of a debit or credit card, or Direct Debit when you tax your vehicle. A Direct Debit can be set up either online or at a Post Office, and you are not required to be the vehicle’s registered keeper to set up a Direct Debit. There is no surcharge when you pay yearly. Monthly or every six-month payment schedule receive a 5% surcharge. A Direct Debit account cannot be set up for taxing your vehicle if two signatures are required for the transaction. Direct Debit cannot be paid via the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency telephone service. For more information about setting up your Direct Debit account visit the Vehicle Tax Debit Payments page.

Your vehicle must be taxed, even if you do not have a pending balance to pay. An example of when you may not be required to pay anything would be if your vehicle was exempt because of your disability status. Vehicles qualify for disability exemption status only when you apply for vehicle tax. Mobility scooters, historic vehicles, and some electric vehicles also qualify for exemption pending approved specifications mandated by the DVLA. Learn more from the Vehicles Exemption page online.

Your vehicle must meet all the legal obligations for drivers before you can drive it. To meet DVLA regulations you must obtain a driver’s license, and register, tax, and insurance your vehicle. This includes also getting a MOT (Ministry of Transport) certificate for your vehicle. Visit our Getting An MOT page to view more details on the test and safety standards that your vehicle must pass.

Call for more information about taxing your car. The number for the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency telephone is 0300 123 4321. Our services are available 24-hours a day.