Menu Close

Working Tax Credit Number

The working tax credit is a form of credit you may receive if you meet certain eligibility criteria regarding the number of hours you work, your income, and other circumstances. In order to qualify for this type of tax credit, you must work at least 30 hours per week if you are age 25 to age 59. If you are 60 years old or older, you must work at least 16 hours a week to qualify for this credit. Anyone who is considered to be disabled must work at least 16 hours per week to be eligible. A single parent with 1 or more children will need to work at least 16 hours per week, and a couple that has 1 or more children must work a minimum of 24 hours per week between each other with one person working at least 16 hours per week.

It is important to understand what constitutes work according to the working tax credit. You may be working for another person as an employee or as a worker, you can be self-employed, or you can use work that is a mixture of both of those types of work. For individuals who are self-employed, to be eligible for the working tax credit you must turn a profit or have clear arrangements to turn a profit, you must work on a regular basis, you must keep invoices and receipts for business records, and you must adhere to any regulations that are applicable to your work. Should the hourly profit from self-employed work full underneath the national minimum wage, you may be asked to provide proof of one or more of the things above by HM Revenue and Customs. If you have any questions regarding what makes you eligible for the working tax credit, you can call the Working Tax Credit helpline phone number.

In order to be eligible to receive the working tax credit, you must work a minimum of 4 weeks and you must have been paid for that work. Exceptions to the definition of paid work include ‘rent a room’ scheme, training or study grants, work done while incarcerated in prison, and money paid as a sports award. You also may not receive the working tax credit for periods of time when you do not work. This includes when you get sick pay, when you are in between jobs, and when you go on maternity leave.

In order to place your claim to receive the working tax credit, you must contact the HM Revenue and Customs via phone to file your claim. You may claim the working tax credit at any time of the year after beginning a new job. Should your claim get approved, the money will be paid directly into your building society or bank account each week or on a 4-week interval. If you are a couple filing for the working tax credit, you will be required to choose one account to receive the funds.